Last Updated on September 11, 2023 by Ryan Conlon | 🕒 2 min Read Time
Most of us know that music has the power to evoke an emotional response. But did you know it can also be used in order to cope with difficult situations, like adoption?
Adoption is a complex topic for many people and sometimes, when they are feeling down or struggling with their emotions, listening to songs about adoption can help them feel better.
Songs About Adoption
Some celebrate life in a child who has been given up for their own good while others address what it feels like when you lose something very precious from your soul- either through circumstance or choice.
Whichever the tone adopted by the artist, these songs offer adoptees a voice and a space to feel heard.
They can be powerful tools in helping us to make sense of our stories and connect with other adoptees or birth parent(s) who may have similar experiences.
In this section, we’ll go through distinct types of adoption songs that you might want to check out if you’re seeking comfort and inspiration!
Here are some of our favorites:
- Ben Nelson – Come Home (Music Video)
- Steven Curtis Chapman – Meant to Be
- Thomas Rhett – Life Changes
- Mark Schultz – Everything To Me
- John Michael Montgomery – The Little Girl (Music Video)
- Casting Crowns – So Far To Find You
- Josh Kelley – Naleigh Moon
- Bruce Frye – Adopted
- Lindsey Teefy – Orphan Lullaby
- John Waller – Orphan
- Emily Meikle – One Day (I’ll See You Again)
- Becky Wright – The Heart of Adoption
- Aaron Ivey – Amos Story
- The Sins Country – She Gave It All Up
- Steven Curtis Chapman – When Love Takes You In
Adoption is a wonderful thing. It establishes a new family where one maybe did not existed before. Songs talking about adoption can also be extremely motivational, demonstrating how families of all kinds can be formed in different ways.
These songs provide an inspiration and a positive outlook on expanding your family through adoption.
The adoption journey can be lengthy, but there are songs that speak to the heart of anyone looking into adding a new member to their family through this life-changing event.
Elvie Shane – My Boy (2021)
Have you heard the new song from Elvie Shane? It’s called “My Boy”
It’s a song about the love between a parent and child, regardless of how they came to be together.
The song is uplifting and optimistic, just like how I feel when thinking of my wonderful family. If you’re looking for a song about extended family/adoption that will make you smile, then be sure to check out “My Boy.”
“He ain’t my blood, ain’t got my name
But if he did, I’d feel the same”
“Yeah, he’s my son and that’s my choice
He ain’t my blood, but he’s my, he’s my boy”
You can read more about Elvie Shane story over at Taste of Country
Songs About an Extended Family
The songs about your chosen family are songs that celebrate how you create a unique community.
These songs can be especially powerful for children who have been adopted, or kids whose families may be different from others around them.
They show the strength of bonds between people outside traditional blood relations and help explain what makes these relationships so special.
Here are some great songs about the magic of your chosen family:
- Rina Sawayama, Elton John – Chosen Family
- Alicia Keys – Blended Family (What You Do For Love)
- Garth Brooks – Thicker Than Blood
- Brad Paisley – He Didn’t Have To Be
- Andy Grammer – I Choose You
- Kari Kimmel – Where You Belong
- The Chainsmokers with Kygo – Family
- Brandon Davis – Step by Step
- Elvie Shane – My Boy (My Girl Version)
- Jon Wayne Hatfield – My Girl
When you’re part of an extended family, every day feels like a celebration. There’s always someone to share your joys and sorrows with, and no matter what life throws your way, you know that you’ll never be alone.
Rina Sawayama, Elton John – Chosen Family (2020)
Rina Sawayama shared a new version of her song, “Chosen Family,” in collaboration with Elton John. The uplifting tune celebrates the importance of family bonds, whether they’re through blood ties or chosen ones.
Songs About a New Home and Family
There are many different types of songs in the world. Some are about love, some are about loss, and some are about finding that new love. These songs can be happy or sad, but they all share one common thread: they tell a story.
Today, we’re going to take a look at some of the best songs out there that are specifically about adoption and creating a home with someone new.
- Phillip Phillips – Home
- Rachel Platten – Stand By You
- TobyMac – Family
- Sandi Patty – Love Will Be Our Home
- Switchfoot – This is Home
- Sister Sledge – We Are Family
- Matthew West – Family Tree
- Creed – With Arms Wide Open
- Building 429 – Where I Belong
- Carrie Underwood – I’ll Stand By You
- Jason Gray – With Every Act Of Love
- Lifehouse – By Your Side
- Michael Jackson – Hold My Hand
- Zac Brown Band – Family Table
- Marshmello – Together
Whether you’re an adoptive parent or just thinking about becoming one, these songs will surely speak to you.
Adopting a child is an amazing, life changing experience. If you’re considering adopting a child, you might be apprehensive about how time-consuming and difficult it will be.
However, the process is well worth it in the end. These songs will help you celebrate your new addition to the family!
Conclusion – Songs About Adoption
I hope you enjoyed these songs about adoption and extended families. If you’re looking for a way to connect with people who have been on the adoption journey, these songs may be able to help.
These song lyrics are from some of your favorite artists and they’ll give you an inside look into what it feels like to grow your family.
- Songs About Family | Reliable Classic Hits to Recent Chart-Toppers
- Songs About Mom | Terrific Songs for Incredible Mothers
- Emotional Songs About Dad | Songs Celebrating Fatherhood
- Songs About Sons | Discover These Wonderful Hits | Updated
- Heartwarming Songs About Daughters | Charming Songs
Pins for Pinterest
If you like what you see, feel free to share some love on Pinterest ❤️